Altrusa International was founded in Nashville,
Tennessee in 1917 by Mamie L. Bass.
In 1935, Altrusa became international when the first club
in Mexico was organised. Since that first step over US
borders, Altrusa moved into Puerto Rico, Chile, Ecuador,
Mexico, India, Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Ireland, Great
Britain, Bermuda, Canada, and New Zealand. In 1946,
Altrusa sent its first representative to the United
In 1962, Altrusa International established the Altrusa
International Foundation, which is dedicated to improving
economic well-being and quality of life through a
commitment to community services and literacy. In 1966,
the organization began to look to America’s youth as the
future of Altrusa and established ASTRA service clubs.
ASTRA encourages young people, ages 13 to 21, to
participate in community service.